The village was named for Myron Holley, one of the Commissioners of the building of the canal. He was born in Salisbury, Connecticut in 1779, graduated law school, but followed that profession only a short time. He moved to Canandaigua, where he married, had 12 children, and opened a book store in 1804. His political career began in 1810 and in 1816 he was Ontario County’s Assembly Representative. He soon met DeWitt Clinton and they became the backbone of the building of the canal. He retired in 1837 and removed to Rochester, where he continued his active lifestyle, active in the prohibition movement and anti-mason cause. He bought a printing press in 1839 and began publishing the “Rochester Freeman”. Mr. Holley helped form the Liberty Party. He was known by all to be a hardworking and honest man, respected by all who knew him. He died in Rochester on March 4,1841 and is buried in Mount Hope Cemetery. Cemetery.
The area soon began to attract many settlers and businessmen. The rich soil was planted with vegetable crops and orchards, which were shipped on the Erie Canal. The Village of Holley was incorporated in 1850 and owes it’s existence to the Erie Canal and those brave pioneers who followed their dreams, facing hardships we can only imagine today, to make Holley their home.