Hats off to David Dill and the entire June Fest Committee who are once again planning the 6th Annual Murray-Holley June Fest. Scheduled for Saturday, June 7, 2014, the annual event grows each year, enriching the community of Holley along with area businesses, as well as attracting the young and young at heart all over Orleans and surrounding counties. The roster of activities includes:
- A village-wide yard sales at 9 am. So start cleaning out the attic and garage.
- The Jim Ferris Memorial 5K Race at 9:30, with registration forms available on the Village of Holley Website at www.villageofholley.org.
- At 10:30, a grand parade kicks off, featuring a host of marching bands from area school districts along with the 2014 World Champion Ghost Riders Mini Corps, Mighty St. Joe’s Alumni Corps, Sabers Drum & Bugle Corps, Hamburg Kingsmen Drum & Bugle Corps, Mark Time Marchers Band, Kendall Lawn Chair Ladies along with many floats represented by service organizations and fire departments from around the area. The parade route runs from the VFW on 8 Veterans Drive, towards Batavia Street, then down Public Square to White Street, East Avenue, and concluding at the entrance to the canal park.
- St Mary’s Catholic Church will be featuring their savory Chicken BBQ starting at 11:00 am until they sell out.
- From 12:00-3:00pm, the Community Action Center at 75 Public Square will be serving up a local favorite… “Garbage Plates” at $5.00 a plate.
- From 9:00 am-5:00 pm, the Canal Park will be host to a variety of craft vendors, delicious food, games and entertainment for children, wine tasting booth, farmers market, and musical bands.
- The Murray-Holley Historical Society will be holding their annual bake food sale at the Museum. So be sure to stop by for sweet treats and a cup of coffee. Or stop by Sam’s Diner, Jonathan’s Pastry Shoppe & Café, or the many food booths in the park.
- Back by popular demand, the evening events kick off at 5:00pm at the Woodlands Soccer field with our own version of “Holley-wood” Idol. Contestants can sign up at 1st Niagara Bank, Public Square. See Nancy Manard for details.
- The free Drum & Bugle Corp Show begins at 7:00pm with an all-star line-up this year, including the award-winning Holley High School chorus followed by the musically talented Lawn Chair Ladies, the Kendall – Holley marching band, the Hit Men Brass Band, Ghost Riders Mini Corps, Mighty St. Joe’s, and finally the Hamburg Kingsmen.
- The evening concludes with the spectacular fireworks display by Young Explosives Inc. So be sure to bring your lawn chair.
With this year’s theme being “It’s Fun to Grow Up in Holley”….I thought it would be fun to start June festivities a bit early. Especially since it has been such a long winter! So be sure to write me in care of Visions of Holley and let me know why you think growing up in Holley has been so much fun. I will then forward your comments onto the June Fest Committee.